Vacancy: Trainer/Mentor, Girls Empowerment through Micro-Franchise Project
Duration: 10 Months
1.0 Background Information
YIKE aims at assisting marginalized and disenfranchised youth, through youth groups, to help them create and sustain income generating, lead a healthy life, access the benefits of ICT and have a better understanding of their rights as citizens. YIKE has been implementing these interventions for the past 10 years. Hitherto, YIKE has worked with 72 Youth groups in the slums/informal settlements all over Nairobi. With support from the International Rescue Committee (IRC), YIKE is in the second year of implementing the Girls Empowerment Project which seeks to economically empower girls through a micro-franchise model. The girls who have been targeted are those residents in Mathare, Huruma and Eastleigh. These girls are aged between 17 – 19 years.
2.0 Project Summary Information
Under the Girls Empowerment through Micro-Franchise (GEM) project, YIKE will target to directly reach the remaining 400 girls this year and a further 800 other girls indirectly through the buddy system .Therefore in total YIKE will seek to reach out a total of 1,200 girls drawn from Huruma, Eastleigh, Baba Dogo,Lunga Lunga, Dandora and Mathare.
YIKE will take the 400 lead girls through a 10 day basic training focused on business skills, financial management, and relevant life skills. During this training the girls will prepare the business plans of which they will make presentations to the franchisors as they are divided into micro-franchisee groups (based on the same products/franchisor). At this stage IRC will provide the girls with startup materials as well as refresher trainings based on topics identified as areas where the girls need support. The refresher trainings will be designed based on gaps identified during the trainers’ interaction with the girls and also on areas considered important for girls to effectively operate their businesses.
Each of the lead girls will be expected to recruit two buddies who will also start to attend mentoring and refresher trainings once they are selected. Each of the buddy girls will attend a minimum of three refresher sessions during the project life. The project staff will also work with girls to create networks or support groups among each other. The project staff will be responsible for providing the trainings and mentoring to the girls. Other service providers such as financial institutions will be invited during the refresher sessions with an aim of providing further information and support to the girls. Towards this end, YIKE seeks to recruit 1 Female as Trainer/Mentor who will assist in the various program activities across the project period.
3.0 Job Description
The Trainer/Mentor will be responsible, inter alia, for the following:
- Managing girls earmarked to benefit directly from the project
- Support the girls in recruitment of their buddies.
- Facilitating the business related trainings and refresher trainings for the beneficiaries
- Support the creation and enhancement of cohesion in the small groups that the beneficiary girls will be put into
- Support the business ventures of the beneficiary girls and the repayment of the seed capital
- Organizing regular mentorship sessions with the beneficiary girls.
- Progress reporting to the parties concerned
- Managing the M&E aspects of the project especially data collection from the field
- Preparation of the monthly reports for onward transmission to the Project Officer.
4.0 Job Requirements
- Knowledge of micro-franchising and understanding of business skills like entrepreneurship, marketing, small business planning.
- Computer skills (Office Applications).
- Report Writing/Communication/Training/Facilitation skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to effectively work with groups from the informal settlements (slums)
- Willingness to stay in this job for a period of 10 months
- Ability to mentor, manage and inspire teenage girls.
- Should not be more than 25 years of age and should be a resident of the project target areas
5.0 Professional and Academic Requirements
· Diploma or Certificate in Community Development, Development Studies, Project Management, Sociology, and Business related field or any Social Sciences discipline.
· Experience in community development work especially that which involves marginalized groups living in informal settlements
6.0 Additional Information
- The residence working premise will be at YIKE Offices with frequent travels to the listed field areas.
- The position is only open to female applicants who are preferably less than 25 years of age
- All applications should have the following heading; Application for GEM Trainer/Mentor
- Deadline of Submission is 5pm 19th March 2013.
- The interview will be held on Thursday, 21st March 2013.